Complete the One Roommate Didn't Pay Rent Checklist
Once you have completed all the tasks on this checklist mark as done.
Contact the Roommate Who Did Not Pay
Contact the roommate who did not pay rent just as you would in any other tenant scenario where rent was not paid. Ask for the status of payment.
Contact ALL Roommates
If rent is not paid on the 1st contact ALL roommates and let them know only part of rent was received and now the extra $50 of rent is due.
Remind All Tenants of Lease Terms
Remind the tenants that they are all jointly and severally liable for rent. Just because the other tenants paid their portion does not mean they are off the hook and all may face eviction if the entire rent amount is not paid.
Rent Still Outstanding by the 5th
If the outstanding amount of rent has not been paid by the 5th either by the roommate who did not pay initially or the other roommates, post a 3 day pay or quit notice and start the eviction process.
Evict the Tenants
If the full rent amount is still not paid after the notice to pay or quit hire an attorney and evict all tenants.
Additional Challenging Tenant Scenarios
Have another tenant challenge? Check out these other checklists.
- Tenant Scenario: Black Mold
- Tenant Scenario: City Ordinance Violation
- Tenant Scenario: Death of Tenant
- Tenant Scenario: Not Maintaining the Property
- Tenant Scenario: Rent Check Bounced
- Tenant Scenario: Rent Not Paid by Due Date
- Tenant Scenario: Rent Still Not Paid by the 5th
- Tenant Scenario: Tenant Hold Over
More posts: Tenant Scenario