Complete the "Not Maintaining the Property" Checklist
Not Maintaining the PropertyResolving Challenging Tenant ScenariosUltimate Nomad Checklist
Perform Periodic Inspections
As mentioned previously, drive by the property at least once a quarter. Check for the following:
- Not mowing the lawn
- Not weeding the lawn/garden
- Not watering the lawn
- Vehicles on the lawn
- Burned out exterior light-bulbs
- Not shoveling the walk/driveway after it snows
- General cleaning and maintaining of exterior not taking place
Call the Tenant
Call the tenant if you notice they are not maintaining the property during one of your periodic inspections. Let them know they are in violation of the lease and that it needs to be resolved by the following date. Followup with an email and a letter with the date the violation was noticed, specific details about the violation, the date the violation needs to be resolved by, and the consequences for non-compliance.
Confirm Compliance or Non-Compliance
Visit the property on the date you specified the issue should be resolved by to confirm whether the work was done or not.
If the work was done the matter is concluded for now but make a note to inspect the status again in a month.
Serve 3 Day Demand
If the issue has not been resolved, serve the tenant with a 3 Day Demand for Compliance.
Charge Fees and Fines
If the issue is resolved prior to the 3 day deadline, charge the tenant any legal fees you incurred for serving the demand notice.
Start Eviction Process
If the issue is still un-resolved by the 3 day deadline have your attorney start the eviction process.
Have the Work Completed
Hire someone to complete the maintenance work not done by your tenant. Charge any fees incurred back to the tenant during the eviction process.
Additional Challenging Tenant Scenarios
Have another tenant challenge? Check out these other checklists.
- Tenant Scenario: Black Mold
- Tenant Scenario: City Ordinance Violation
- Tenant Scenario: Death of Tenant
- Tenant Scenario: One Roommate Didn’t Pay Rent
- Tenant Scenario: Rent Check Bounced
- Tenant Scenario: Rent Not Paid by Due Date
- Tenant Scenario: Rent Still Not Paid by the 5th
- Tenant Scenario: Tenant Hold Over
More posts: Tenant Scenario