These are the checklists related to Prepare Property for Rent.
When you click on the task, you can also see the tags that task is filed under. You can also click on the tag to see other tasks with that tag.
- Complete the "Prepare Property for Rent" checklist
- Replace Fire Extinguisher
- Replace Batteries in Smoke Alarms and Radon Detectors
- Clean property
Clean the property.
Make sure the property is in great condition; it sets the tone for the condition you want the Tenant or Tenant-Buyer to treat and maintain your property. If you're OK with dirty windows and floors, they won't care about that or other things either.
Things to clean probably include:
- Kitchen including behind and underneath appliances like the strove and refrigerator
- Clean inside refrigerator, oven and microwave
- At a minimum vacuum the carpet (ideally have the carpets cleaned if needed)
- Sweep and pressure wash the garage and driveway
- Clean windows inside and outside
- Mow the lawn, trim shrubs and neaten landscaping
- Clean out the gutters
- Complete all repairs from Home Inspection
If there were things on your Home Inspection that have not been fixed yet, complete all repairs prior to putting your property up for rent.
Make sure the property is in great condition; it sets the tone for the condition you want the Tenant or Tenant-Buyer to treat and maintain your property. If you're OK with a dripping faucet, they won't care about that or other things either.
- Service AC and Furnance
- Check for leaks under all sinks and toilets
- Change insurance policy to be landlord policy
- Consider adding a fence to attract tenants with pets
Tenants with pets represent an exceptionally large percentage of tenants.
So, accepting pets and having a property with a fenced in yard can help attract a larger pool of tenants which may help you to get higher rent.
Plus, you may also be able to collect additional pet rent on your properties.
For more information on fence laws in Colorado (and possibly getting your neighbors to contribute to the cost of adding a fence), check out this special report.