These are the checklists related to Accounting.
When you click on the task, you can also see the tags that task is filed under. You can also click on the tag to see other tasks with that tag.
- Sign up for Dropbox
Sign up for Dropbox with "Extended Version History" feature at:
"Extended Version History" keeps copies of old versions of your files longer than just 30 days in case you accidentally delete something and don't realize it right away.
- Setup Dropbox on your computer
Once you've signed up for Dropbox make sure it is installed and working on your computer for saving all your real estate related files.
Here is the recommend folder structure for Nomads to be setup inside Dropbox:
- "REI Folders"
- Folder for each property and LLC/major entity
- Example: "Main St LLC" (one folder for each LLC/major entity)
- Example: "1234 Main Street" (one folder for each property)
- "1. Purchase Docs"
- "YYYY-MM-DD - PROPERTY STREET ADDRESS - FILE DESCRIPTION.pdf"
- Example: "2018-04-21 - 1234 Main St - Buyer Settlement Statement.pdf"
- "1.1 Refinance" (if applicable, but make it now)
- "2. Trust Docs"
- "3. Property Info"
- "4. Mortgage"
- "5. Taxes"
- "6. Insurance"
- "7. HOA"
- "8. Expenses"
- "9. Tenant and Property Mgmt Info"
- Example: "Smith, John and Suzy" (one for each tenant group)
Mark this task complete once you've set up Dropbox and your folder system within Dropbox on your computer.
- Interview 3 Accountants
Talk to 3 Accountants to determine which one you'd like to use.
Ask your Real Estate Broker for recommendations.
Mark complete once you've talked to 3 Accountants of if you've already decided which Accountant you plan to use.
- Determine your Accountant
Determine who you will as your accountant to help you with financial planning and completing your taxes.
Ask your Real Estate Broker for a recommendation.
Mark this task complete once you've determined who you'll use as your Accountant.
- Partnership Create list of questions about partnerships for meeting with Accountant
- Partnership Request EIN for LLC
- Partnership Meet with Accountant to ask questions about partnerships
- Complete the "Dream Team - Post-Closing" checklist
- Complete the "Post-Closing Bookkeeping and Accounting" checklist
- Class Watch "Bookkeeping and Accounting for Nomads" Recording of Live Class
Watch the recording of the live presentation of "Bookkeeping and Accounting for Nomads" available on:
- Download Brian's Bookkeeping and Accounting Spreadsheet
If you've decided to download and use Brian's Bookkeeping and Accounting Spreadsheet to keep track of your income and expenses on your rental and Nomad properties, you can download a copy of it here:
If you're not going to use Brian's accounting spreadsheet, you can skip this step and mark it as complete.
- Setup Bookkeeping System
You should setup your bookkeeping system for your rental property. There are several options to choose from including just hiring a bookkeeper/accountant to do it for you to using the tools we provide.
Of course, you could keep track of your income and expenses in software like QuickBooks and have your accountant prepare taxes at the end of the year. There are also property management software packages that allow you to do bookkeeping and accounting as well.
If you don't have a strong preference, we recommend you setup either Brian's bookkeeping and accounting spreadsheet or use web-based version on RealEstateFinancialPlanner.com to start tracking income and expenses for property.
Mark complete once you've set up bookkeeping and accounting for this property.
- Keep books monthly
Each month enter the income and expenses for the property and your LLCs.
The longer you delay doing this the more painful it becomes especially as you forget what expenses were for and why.
It is much easier to do it either: as you receive them or, at least, once a month.
- Enter income as you receive it
- Enter expenses as they occur
- Send Accountant income and expenses for year
Send your Accountant your income and expenses for the year to prepare your tax returns.
Mark complete once you've sent your Accountant income and expenses from either Brian's Spreadsheet or the web-based version.
- File tax returns
- Review and approve tax return
- Partnership Share tax return with Partners
If you have a Partnership, then once you have reviewed your tax return from your Accountant share it with your Partners.
Once you've shared it with your Partners, mark this task as complete.